Paragliding in Pamukkale, Turkey

Wednesday, September 30, 2015


I have to say paragliding in Pamukkale is the highlight of my Turkey tour (beside riding the hot air balloon in Cappadocia). It is a once in a lifetime experience to be able to fly above the ancient city of Hierapolis and admire the white and blue travertine terraces from above. I chanced upon paragliding when we were on the way to our hotel and saw people flying above us. I really want to do it and pestered our tour guide about it - he was really nice to arrange it for me. My guess is not many people know you can paraglide in Pamukkale. I am quite blessed to have a private flying tour. ;)

The 25 mins adventure costs 70 Euro and the photos and video cost 50 TL. Totally worth it!




Pamukkale or "Cotton Castle" is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It is situated in Denizli Province in southwestern Turkey. Pamukkale's terraces are made of travertine, a sedimentary rock deposited by water from the hot springs. The water contains high concentrated calcium hydro carbonate - with the contact of oxygen in the air, calcium carbonate precipitates which forms travertines when carbon monoxide evaporate.

The first time I saw Pamukkale on a travel magazine, I actually thought they were snow terraces that turned turquoise when it melted. I am so wrong, this turquoise liquid has a temperature range of 35-100 degree celsius!


Some things to note if you are planning to go Pamukkale:

  • The entrance ticket to Pamukkale costs 25 TL. The price includes addmission to nearby Roman city of Hierapolis
  • Wearing shoes in the water is prohibited to protect the deposits. There are no lockers available, you should carry a bag pack or a sling bag to enjoy the walk in the travertines.
  • Please remember to change into your swimsuit to enjoy a dip in the hot spring.
  • Do check out the great (12,000-seat) Roman amphitheater of Hierapolis, around 15-20 mins walk from the travertines.
  • You can also try out Hierepolis's Cleopatra Antique Pool at an additional cost of 25 Lira. However do take note this place is extremely crowded with tourists.
  • Take some time to find a quiet spot, sit down and enjoy the view!



You Might Also Like

0 comments

SUBSCRIBE NEWSLETTER

Get an email of every new post! We'll never share your address.

Featured post

The Nightmare Before Christmas

I love this Tim Burton's animated movie. It was the first stop motion movie I've watched as a child and I love stop motion movies ...